Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me the symptoms of ringworm in rats? One of my boys has a funky toe and I just want to make sure that's not it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Could you post pics?

I've always noticed ringworm (in rats) as a red discolouration of the skin accompanied by fur loss (patchy). Neither of the two I have had (one hairless, one PEW) have experienced it on their hands or feet. Jake got a lot of his on his tail though.

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/dermatophytosis_figure_1.php

This shows as rings, but I've known it to be 'off ring' shaped - if that makes sense

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad you posted this topic!

Stella currenjtly has ringworm. We took her to the vet three days ago anjd they said it is a case of ringworm. I caught it from her and now I have been having ringworm attacks everyday. We have to use medicine, oh horrors! I have it around my eye and on my chest, badly. See a vet as quickly as possible. This can possibly be a contaigous diesies and you will most likely get it too. Be careful, and good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wah! I'll try to take a picture of it, but as of yet I have been unable to get a single picture to show up on this website. (Which grinds my gears, because I really want to show off my babies). I'm kind of resistant to taking them to the vet, because I just took them to the vet last week and had to spend a load because they had mites... But I suppose that doesn't really matter, does it? Le sigh. I think I'll email my vet and ask her what she thinks is wrong... Thanks guys! :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If they've had mites - perhaps it's that that is causing his funky toe?

And yes, ringworm is infectious, but it doesn't mean you will definately get it. If you do, a good anti-fungal cream should clear it up in it's early stages.

As for your furkid - I've used a medicated anti-fungal shampoo with good results as a treatment for ringworm

·
Registered
323 Posts
yup, yup, ypu I can help you with ringworm. I have it still, (but I am not contajous and I am almost better) but lucky templeton doesn't.

The symtoms are:
red,pinkish skin
loss of hair in one spot (supposed to be in a ring type shape)
also, scratching a lot(although you can't relly tell if they are or aren't)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts