Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweetest of girls and first ever rat-baby! We are so fortunate to live near an animal hospital that works with rats. The vet knew it was her time, and she said it was clear that the decision, while tough, was necessary. Poor Ada could not longer chew or walk without falling over. It is nearly impossible to question what more I could have done to prevent this from happening. My entire family knows how much this hurts. My aunt went to the vet with me, and the rest of my family have reached out. It's so odd because these little bundles are so incredibly precious but so incredibly short-lived (compared to my childhood black lab that lived for 20 years). I'm heartbroken but know that these decisions are the tough ones that matter so much when you are a rat-parent. The vet and I discussed antibiotics, but she was honest in that her myco flair would possibly clear but the strokes that left her unable to truly walk and bit food wouldn't be fixed. The other girls are so lost, and I sincerely believe they are wondering where she went. It's hard because she was the grown-up rat of the bunch, the momma and matriarch. Someone new- probably my runt- will step into that place.

We will get her ashes back in two weeks. I am glad that there was a vet that could handle all of this and not find me ridiculous for requesting private cremation. I am lucky to have enjoyed my time with Ada. She was such a good girl.

Thank you, ratforum, for being there when I first started my journey as a rat owner and now, when I first experience the loss of a darling babe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry to hear about Ada, you gave her a great life, rats are not here long, so we try and cram as much fun and love in the short time.I lost my first rat back in June, he was a true shoulder and lap rat, was only 18 months old., I now have 3 boys, all re-homed. Felt like the right thing to do to remember "Mouse" that was , no that is his name, still miss him. stay strong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts