Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a terrible evening, the kids had the two of our rats out to clean their cage. They both seemed fine, and I had given them a couple pieces of cooked macaroni. About ten minutes later, they rushed Caramel to me as she was acting funny. She had some laboured breathing and wasn't moving very much. I had her on the bed and she wouldn't move. I picked her up to see if she was possibly choking and then she started what looked like the hiccups, she was lunging forward. Then she was gone :( She was just over a year old :( Obviously we are all heartbroken. RIP Caramel!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am so sorry. It's hard when they go before their times. I am sure she had a good life with you and was very loved and spoiled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so sorry. It's hard when they go before their times. I am sure she had a good life with you and was very loved and spoiled.
Thanks for the kind words, still tearing me up not knowing what happened to her. To go from climbing on a chair and running around on the chair to passing away in less than 20 mins. :'(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, still tearing me up not knowing what happened to her. To go from climbing on a chair and running around on the chair to passing away in less than 20 mins. :'(
I know what you mean. One of my first two rats passed when she was only 6 months old. I thought that my room was perfectly rat proof and so let them free-range all day. When I went in to check on them they would run over to say hi then run off again to have fun. Then one time I went in and only Wren came over. I went looking for Phoebe and found her stuck between a trash and the wall dead. She must have climbed to the top of my dresser, knocked the trash can of while she was in it so it was lodged between the wall and the dresser then tried to get out and strangled herself. It really made me so upset because it would have been so easy to stop it from happening and it was so sudden and unexpected like yours. But with you, it sounds like you could not have done anything to help her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts