Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls love to climb into my shirt and run around. Normally it's not much of an issue since I wear two layers but sometimes one of the sneaky buggers tries (or succeeds) in getting underneath my undershirt. Today my cuddliest rat decided that's where she wanted to be. Unfortunately, she decided around the back of my shoulders was the nicest spot and when she started to slip she dug her claws in all the way down and back up and down again. I kept trying to get to her to pull her out or shake her free but she was having none of it. She wanted to be by me! Now my shoulders burn from all the scratches and look awful :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
If they're burning then get some antiseptic cream on them - your babies could be the cleanest rats in the world and still give you infections from scratches, cats are the worst for that. I am covered in scratches from hosting the odd playfight under my clothes, and use a non-toxic antiseptic often to make sure I don't get infected cuts. I also wear the same clothes when I play with them as they also have a habit of making their own way if they are blocked by a rolled sleeve.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have bad asthma so I'm the type to break out in hives at the slightest provcation. I just let the rats have at my skin until I reacted less and less to their nails. I still get raised red lines but I pop an antihistamine and I'm all good. It's their urine that irritates you so try to keep the cage as clean as possible, like CG said though even the cleanest rat will make you react. Another thing you can do is make sure your skin isn't dry to begin with, dry skin (like from hot showers) is easily irritated, so moisturize often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts