Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low and behold we now have our first mouse. He popped out under a cabinet while I was watching Netflix, he was a cute till thing, we stared at each other for a bit till I moved. I almost wished I didn't tell my boyfriend so I could have picked up one of those have a heart traps myself. He thinks I'm being ridiculous. Anywho, I do want the mouse out as soon as possible. Mice don't really bother me, I don't have food out, even our fruit is in fridge. But I don't want my young boys picking up....well actually thats my question. What sickness can transfer between a wild mouse and my fuzzys? What should I look out for other then mites. Right now my 4 month olds are on Oxbow young rat lab blocks, which crumble and gets every where (I seriously hate this food) around the cage and the floor. While I have been diligent in cleaning around the area there is still a mess when I wake up or get back form work which might tempt the mouse to get close.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
There are a lot of viruses and parasites that can be transmitted to humans as well as your pets. Hantavirus, Salmonella, and Lyme (if they are carrying ticks) are a few.

Urine and feces are the biggest risk... if they get into your food storages, air systems, etc. they can contaminate it very quickly. Mice/rat infestations in your house are not something to be taken lightly!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Er, thats not good. I'm keeping an eye out for behavior bodily changes, no mites or ticks that I can tell of. We caught the one the next day, and nothing else has showed up in our traps. Again, I feel bad but my rat's health is my main priority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts