Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Harlan Teklad is good, I got mine online. Even with shipping it seems economical. Another option I've heard is Oxbow? But I'm not sure if that's blocks or not....

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Harlan Teklad is considered the best most nutritious and balanced lab block out there. It cannot be purchased at stores but must be shipped in. You can order it from Kim's Ark Rescue, or if you are nearer another supplier Kim's Ark will redirect you.

The next best one is considered the Mazuri. I use Mazuri 6F myself (16% protein, but in 50 lb bags), but PetSmart only sells the 2 lb bags of 5663 (23% protein).

Hagen Nutri-block are considered okay.

Oxbow Regal Rat is expensive and some rats just don't like it. Its not a lab block but has kibble in it.

Stay away from Sunseed Critter Cubes, Reggie Rat and anything Kaytee.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone link me to the harlan teklad purchase point?..I can get on their site, but don't see where to buy online.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
To order direct from HT go to their 'contact us' page, but they only sell in the bulk quanity, I think. Rescues sell small amounts, like Kimsark and many others. Some online store do as well, like the rat shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where in texas are you? Rat association is doing a harlan order next month :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll pm you the info :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are there different Harlan Teklad rat diets....I typed in a search on their site and it pulled up a few different ones....is there one with a certain amount of fat or protein content?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes.
2104 - 14% protein good for older rats
2018 - 18% protein good for growing rats and older rats
8604 - a lot of people still use but it is 24% protein, and newer research has shown that lower protein levels are better.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just an argument of semantics, here... 2014 is the maintenance diet - ie, for normal weight ratties who aren't litles anymore who don't need anything special in their diet....

I'm only arguing 'cause you said 'older rats' twice. :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well my rats are about 3 months old....would the 18% be the best....& also....how old are rats when they are "adult" and are done growing?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I believe HT suggests... 8 months... but I think all rats can thrive on the 2014, regardless of age. You could just suppliment some slightly more fatty/protein snakcs with it, if it worries you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts