Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always find it interesting that so many rodents like to run on a wheel. I found this article where scientists put a wheel outside to see how wild animals behave. It's interesting that even wild ones can't resist the wheel. What is it? There is a video at the bottom, made me giggle to see a frog running the wheel.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wild-things/mice-really-do-run-wheels

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hm, would be interesting to see what would happen if the same experiment was done with humans & either gym equipment or playground equipment. xP I'd go for the monkey bars no doubt. But wild DLT do, I have no telling. lol!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just strange. I always had this worry that it was a sort of neurotic behavior from keeping animals in cages. this experiment, though gives no real hypothesis as to why they do it, it does say that caged animals are probably not doing it because of any mental issues.

They need a youtube page with more running of the wheel videos. :) I want to see all the critters running on it. Cus...well...I do.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have lots of wildlife in my neighborhood x) I will take the motion activated camera we have and set up one of my old rodent wheels outside and see what happens haha

·
Registered
835 Posts
I will somehow keep it in place on the ground but I won't be surprised if some deer kicks it over and i never see it again because a coyote is like "hey look a green thing, mine now."

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you get some video! Do you have an old cage? Like an old metal rabbit cage with bars really far apart? You could attach it to that so it stays upright and it would keep larger animals from messing with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts