Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted two rats yesterday from my cousin who did not do her research before buying. I'm pretty excited, but I've noticed a few differences between the two. One has smooth fur and is curious. The other's fur sticks out, is rough, and he's shy and flinches. I know she was banging on the cage at least once and I could believe it went on longer, so maybe that's why? They're sweet, but a little nervous. I read a few things that rough fur could mean sickness. Please let me know!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks to me like he's a rex? Rats have different fur types. Standard or smooth, rex or curly, double rex or patchwork and hairless. I know there are a couple more but those are the main ones I know of. If that's the case, him being a rex isn't a sign of illness it's just his coat type, which happens to be my favorite ^.^

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think some rats just don't have the usual shiney coat. my rats both have rough looking fur, they aren't ill or rex but its very likley that they carry the rex gene since most of their other littermates where rexes. Maybe thats why?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts