Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed as the little babies are growing, that atleast 3 of them have rough fur. On one of the darker one his fur is so "curly" i can see his skin below it when he's bending his body. I was curious if this is anything to be concerned about having 3 rough/curly haired babies as opposed to the other 6 who all have nice shiny smooth fur. I figure it's just a difference in their individual traits which developed in them randomly from their mother and father, but I wanted to get some opinions before I just let my uninformed assumption turn into a problem.

They all seem perfectly happy and healthy and they love crawling all over me, so they are otherwise well. ^_^

·
Registered
532 Posts
Google: Rex rats and double-rex rats :)

Or someone who owns them can explain them to you. Basically, it is a gene that makes the fur curly, and two copies of the gene makes the fur so curly and thin that the rattie can end up hairless!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
yep sounds like you have rex-coated rats. :)

Here is agouti rex Aura and her standard-coated daughter.

Babies often have a lot more curl and it relaxes once they have a molt or 2 :)

Are their whiskers curly too?

My Kismet as a wee one :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for then info! ^_^
Yes, their whiskers are curly, I've been calling them mustaches. hehehe

Like I said, I assumed this was genetic, I just wanted to be sure incase there was some sort of disorder I should be aware of.

I'll get some pictures and post them up here when the babies are awake again. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts