Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my two male rats for about a month now. They are fairly large already, so I'm assuming I bought them fairly mature. They have always had rough fur, but over the past few weeks one of my the male's fur has gotten particularly rough. It looks dirty, coarse, and even patchy in terms of thickness and texture. It looks beyond the normal level of coarseness that is typical. Their cage is kept very clean, and the diet is fairly balanced although it could do with more variety. So, do I need to be concerned about his rough fur or should is this normal? I can get pictures if that would help.
Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
What's their diet like? Do you see any thinning fur or scabs?

·
Registered
261 Posts
please post a picture. chances are it would help us understand the concept. i think this sittuation might be normal, but post a pic and we could maybe make sure of that.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Boys usually have a much coarser coat, and the alway produce buck grease which makes their fur seem dirty. The one boy, is it possible he is a rex? They have crimpy fur, can feel different (some feel like a brillo pad) and often look like their fur is thinning when they hit 1ish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts