Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to announce that Rodere Rattery has planned it's first upcoming litter! Under the guidance of our mentor, we've been preparing for quite some time for this. After nearly a year of disappointment, we finally have a breeding pair and a mentor who has time to tutor us.

I can't wait to see these babies. There are so many possibilities. They are going to be gorgeous! We've gotten several reservations already, mostly on girls. If anyone in or near Kentucky would be interested in boys, we may have some available.

Please take a look at my site and let me know what you think.
http://rodererattery.150m.com

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nice website (sans all the pop-ups), but it would be a good idea for you to put your location somewhere on the site. I looked around for it but didn't see it anywhere. :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
i noticed the female has wall eye? thats going to be very hard to breed out of your breeding group if not imposable too.. but grate looking bunch..

·
Registered
730 Posts
Charlet_2007 said:
i noticed the female has wall eye? thats going to be very hard to breed out of your breeding group if not imposable too.. but grate looking bunch..
You'd be awfully hard pressed to find a rat that didn't have that blue around their eye, plus you'll see it in every rat when they boggle anyway.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Whoa, wait... you're breeding an unpedigreed rat?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dobby is unpedigreed? I'm sorry, but I have a russian blue petstore male who is perfectly healthy at over 19 months. That doesn't mean that he should be bred.

Dobby looks as though he may be a possible carrier for high white as well, which I'm sure you know all about. You have a pedigreed male already, why breed one with unknown genetics?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Dobby, Drizzt, Streaker, Mab, are definately rescues according to some posts in your last history. It's a HUGE no no to breed rescues and also a big no to breed unpedigreed rats ): A few of them you said you rescued from a feeder breeder ):

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I thought you were going to be getting some breeder pairs from RaffinHouse? *checks blog* Okay, 1 male and 3 females. I'm confused - like everyone else - why you're considering breeding rescue/store bought rats?!

I remember Dobbie (can't forget that face) a lot from the Goosemoose boards. He's a feed breeder rat you got at the pet store (apparently bred by a feeder breeder in PA), right? You weren't sure if he was a dwarf or not.

I suppose if you are breeding dumbos, as least I'll have somewhere to send those who come to us always wanting dumbos when we don't have any and won't "settle" for "less" :(, since you are rather close to us... But I'd have to know for sure that you ARE breeding only pedigreed rats from established breeders! 8O

Also, since it will be your first breeding, are you keeping any??

And finally, if you get any overflow that may consider rescues, we've got tons of girls here. :p No dumbos, though.

Can you clear some of this up for us? :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mentor has agreed to my breeding Dobbie and is working to help me establish my own line and provided a pedigreed female for that purpose. He wants me to produce a line specific to my rattery. One thing ratteries are lacking in OH is available outcrosses. Most ratteries in OH work with each other and a proper outcross isn't supposed to be related to rats in the line you intend to introduce it's genetics to. I hope to establish a line specific to RRR and unrelated to others in OH so that it is available as an outcross. Which is why we are starting with a pedigreed female from Michigan, unrelated to RH, JM, PVR, etc.

Dobbie came from a private breeder in TN who bred both pets and feeders. I met him when he was selling the 'leftovers' that weren't claimed for pets, Dobbie was among them. His lines weren't documented, but they were selectively bred for temperament and health. It is just that his breeder didn't keep track of the specifics in his family history. Dobbie was previously called a rescue because he was 'rescued' from being sold to a petstore who would use him as a feeder.

I have information from his breeder on his parents and their health and a friend who owns his immediate sister in TN, who has had perfect health as well. His family has no history of MC or other serious problems. All considered, I approached my mentor about it and he is glad to help me establish my own line in this manner and he will be guiding me through it.

The first 5 generations of his offspring and following relatives will be available as pet only. The only person I would allow to bred from his line before that (and only after the 4th generation) would be my mentor. The resulting rittens will be watched closely for any health problems and linebreeding will be used to test the genetics of the line. If any problems crop up, the line will be discontinued immediately.

Drizzt, Streaker, and Warf will not be bred. Nothing at all is known about their family history and their personalities or health are not sufficient for consideration. The only reason Dobbie is being bred is because he has held up to the same standards as any pedigreed rat we've had and some of his family history is known. Had my mentor not agreed and specifically picked a female for this purpose, he would not be a potential breeder.

And yes Kimmie, I am directing people towards you :) I did suggets you to a man just about 15 minutes ago. He wants 3 rats for his 3 daughters for Christmas. I am a rescue first and a breeder second. I will only breed if there are little or no rescues needing homes. My first goal is to get a rat a good home. If I don't have what someone is looking for or am too far away, I look through my resources, petfinder, and even Goosemoose.com and tell them who may be able to help them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And yes I intend to keep at least one male and two females from the litter. Perhaps more. It just depends on how many there are and how many of each gender. More females are spoken for than males at this time and we are crafting a new non-breeding contract.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts