Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rue got neutered yesterday ...... everything went good.....
I asked if he needed any meds and she said no that he had some that will last the day and that she did not want to give him anything else

Well today he has been grinding his teeeth..... and i read that is a sign of stress or pain......
are rats supposed to get meds for sure after surgery???
I dont want my poor baby in pain
Im calling first thing in the morning and getting something for him.... he keeps picking at his incision as well....
im scared

·
Registered
393 Posts
That is odd. Yes, there is supposed to be a few days worth of pain medication and even some antibiotics afterwards. It's seems alarming to me that they sent you home with neither.

When a rat grinds it's teeth it's called bruxing. It's much like a cats purr in that it can be done in times of happiness and contentment or times of stress and discomfort.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Your vet sounds like mine - an injection immediately afterwards and no post-op pain treatment to take him. Stupid really.

Pain meds may stop him picking at the incision, keep your eye on him. They can pull stitches out in a matter of minutes. I'd definately call if he continues, especially if he's showing signs of discomfort (not that I blame him - imagine gonads the size of a rat-mans being removed? Gotta hurt)

Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts