Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ive had my two baby rats for 5-6 week, there about 12 week old now, since ive had them ive been handeling them everyday and letting them run up my jumper ect..but im scared to let them on the floor by them selfs, in my house i have no spare room and i keep them in the living room with us but i have wires near the t.v and i wouldnt want them to chew them. should i let them go out on the floor and let them wonder the room for them selves? would they chew the wires? would they come back to their cage? sorry about all the questions, bet you can tell im a first timer with rats.lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
i wouldnt let them run around...they may find a hole somewhere and get into the walls or something...they may chew the wires also.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a computer in my room with a share of wires.

I've been lucky enough that every rt I've had never showed intrest in chewing wires.

Rats do need exercise, though. What you could do is give them a wheel in their cage. It might help.

Also, lost of toys. Rat brians go at a very fast pace and need lots of entertainment, homemade toys seem to be best(although some rats enjoy bird toys and little cat jnigle balls) to keep them from developing any mental issues form inadequate simulation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rats need out time so you could mabey get them a playpen and let them run around in that, and get them some toy to play with in there. or you could jusst take them and play with them on your bed, if you are afraid of them peeing on ur bed you can always put a sheet down. :) hope i helped

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
those are all great suggestions. another one would be to rat proof the house. check to make sure there are no holes in the walls or floors. tie up the wires with zip ties and hooks or cable ties. and if you're worried about them not coming back, train them to come to their names. when you give them treats use their names to call them and again when they take the treat. it doesn't take long for them to catch on. before letting them house test to make sure they come reliably by letting them on a bed or couch and calling them a few times. remember to give them lots of love and/or treats when they come so they don't get bored. after you feel they come nearly every time you call then you have them trained and you can let them on the floor. i find my rats like the freedom of a large room offers but toys area always a must and a variety of them too as old ones get boring or chewed. and proper wheels (ones that are large enough for at least 2 full grown rats and have mesh or solid bottoms) tend to be a great asset to any cage. it lets the rats run even when you can't be there to superivise out time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts