Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother gave me money to get two baby rats for Christmas this year. I picked out a tall cage with bars fairly close together like my Psychology teacher uses for the class rats, but the girl at the pet store convinced me to get a one-level, wider cage with larger spaces between the bars, but now my babies won't stay in! I woke up at 4:00 this morning to one of them crawling between my sheets. The other is missing altogether. Is there a way to keep them in their cage or should I go ahead and buy the one I intended to? And how can I find my little runaway?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
yes, first of all... get the cage with proper bar spacing because it will be several months before they are full grown & not be able to slip out of the cage.

search every corner, every square inch of the room. If the rat was able to slip under the door or if the door was open... well then you have an entire house to search.

put out some water & food into the cage you originally had & leave it open.

Check for poo trails
look for signs of nesting i.e. shredded paper in odd locations)

Listen for scratching

Hope for the best

I know how frustrating & heart breaking it is to have one get loose. I have not had it happen in years but I do recall the last "Great Escape". I ended up having to pull a section of my lower kitchen cabinets out from the wall to catch the slippery little stinker.

Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have one with me now, but the other (Lola) crawls through the bars every time I leave the room now. I'm more worried that I don't get to socialize with her as much as her sister because I never know where she is

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think you need to get that cage with closer bar spacing now. She is going to continue to escape & eventually she might get into something that could harm her

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you can't get the new cage now, cover the cage with something like wire, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back to the pet store today and figured out the problem! The girl at the pet store sold me a rabbit cage instead of the model for rats.

Anyway, they have a new home! And I found their hiding place (under my bookcase) and a giant mound of poo to go with it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats what my rat use to do. He just got out this morning. His new hiding spot is under my dresser. I caught him 2 hours ago. Now he is sleeping in his hammock. I still have yet to catch the other one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts