Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to make a thread so I can post the goings on of Rupert after his neuter (his behaviour, biting etc). I hope you all don't mind!

I took him to the vets yesterday morning and my GOD did I feel guilty for leaving him there for the day! I must have called the vets 5/6 times to check on him throughout the day haha. His surgery went fine and the vet even said what a sweet boy he is (I was in shock as at home we've nicknamed him Damien for his biting and bullying!!). The vet herself was a rat mother so it was lovely to see he was properly cared for. I've seperated him for now and put him in the Furet Plus on his own, just for a couple days until he heals as the other lads are rather spritely and I don't want anything to kick off whilst he's recovering! He happily sat in the snuggle pouch with me yesterday whilst I scritched his head :)

Lets hope this has helped his aggression aye? He's a lovely, really clever boy and I don't want to have to rehome him or keep him as a solo rat, I just wouldn't have the time to give him the company he needs as a solo. It wouldn't be fair on him!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think this will be a very helpful reference point for others going through the same thing - will be interesting to hear about how things develop after the neuter. Good luck and hope he heals up fast!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I remember that feeling when I took Ronnie for her spay, her cage just seemed so empty :( so glad everything went well so far! Hopefully this will help with his biting, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's been over a week now since Rupert got neutered. We had a vet check up which she said was fine (actually, she was in shock just how GOOD the stitches and healing was, considering he's always on the go). As for his behaviour, it's got considerably worse. He picks on the other lads continuously now which is upsetting as the other lads now seem miserable. You still can't stroke him without him whipping his head around to bite you. If you make the mistake of not wearing shoes or gloves, he will bite you. It's all kind of disheartening really. I know it takes like 2/3 months if not longer to see a difference but the fact he's gotten worse.. It's just horrible. If he doesn't improve by the end of January, I'm going to have to look into rehoming as he's just making the other boys so down :( When they go back in the cage, they look so upset that they're shut in an enclosure with him :(

If anyone could offer any wisdom, that'd be great as I'm feeling very down atm :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont wanna seperate him as he'd be alone most the day :( The bottom of the DCN has mt 2 hairless in that are midst introductions :/

·
Registered
680 Posts
Other then that I think your only option is just to wait and hope he calms down once the wound heals and the hormones subside.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If he's that bad then you may be better keeping him away from the others, even in a different room for a week or two. This will help break the cycle. He will be bored but it's for his long term good. Over the next few weeks you will notice a change in the feel of his coat. With him being so bad I would leave them meeting until you feel this change. That's a sign his hormones have dropped down.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through all of this...:( *hugs* This sounds I think he had gotten worse temporarily from the stress ... Unfortunately even if you rehome him, he will either have to be euthanized or live his life as a solo rat anyways with someone who has the patience to deal with him.... Could you be that person though....? I mean it's obvious you care for him... Even bad pets deserve a home when possible...

I absolutely think you should separate him for now. It may annoy him a bit, but he needs something to "reset" him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
955 Posts
Aaw man that's a shame that he's gotten worse. I would grab a cheap cage off Gumtree or someplace and do as the others suggest - separate him for a while. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you that he settles down soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts