Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two newest babies are a pair of brothers from a Russian Blue litter. There was a really noticeable difference between some of the babies coat colors, though. Some were a very light blue, and the others were a really dark charcoal blue. I have one of each, my dark boy is Ceres, and I was almost convinced he was just and off black, but looking at him in the sunlight right now while he's climbing all over my lap and keyboard it's really obvious he's just very dark. He is berkshire, and has a wedge blaze with the tiniest white tip on his tail, but otherwise his coat looks very uniform without any real noticeable ticking along the hairs. His brother Sedna is a double rex, and is missing most of his fur on the top half of his body atm, but has a pretty thick coat along his underside, and is completely self. His fur is much lighter and much bluer than his brother's, and has fairly noticeably ticking on the hairs when you look close enough. Is it possible for both of them to be Russian Blues and just have a huge shade difference, or is it more likely Ceres is just a really off-shaded black? He definitely doesn't seem that way when compared to my black rex girl who has very similar markings, but I'm not sure. I'll try and take pictures to add to the thread, I'm not sure how well it will show Ceres' color, however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Arm Hand Room
Rat Muridae Rodent Chinchilla
Jaw Hand Room Gesture

This is the darker rex boy, Ceres.

Parrot Cockatoo Parakeet Cockatiel Budgie
Arm Dog breed Companion dog Canidae Non-Sporting Group
Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

And this is the lighter double rex boy, Sedna.
Canidae Dog breed Room Companion dog Cockatoo
Room Hand Ceiling Plaster Cockatoo
Room Ceiling Arm Hand Plaster

And this is the two of them next to each other. Sorry for the pictures, they wouldn't sit still for anything!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figured, I'm just not sure what that makes Ceres.
Canidae Dog Dog breed Boston terrier American pit bull terrier

This is him next to my (blurry) black rex doe. I'm not sure if that just means he's a different shade of black than her and just happens to be lighter or what. ???

Attachments

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
The black rex doe might be a high white which pretty much puts her into a category of her own. High whites often look like other rats but they are one offs kind of like an irregular shirt the closer you look the more irregularities you find.

High whites that survive past their youth usually live as long and are as healthy as any other rat. You wouldn't want to breed one, but they make for great pets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.