Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a while ago there was a small spot of rust where the paint was coming off on my rattie's cage,but it was barely noticable so I didn't worry. Now there are multiple spots like that, about 5 I believe. The layer of paint on this cage is SO THIN. It's thinner than tissue paper- it's flaking off. Getting a new cage IS NOT an option- this cage was over 300 dollars and it's not even a year old; there's no way my mom will agree to buy a new one.

The only reason I'm truly concerned is that I saw one of my rats nip at one of the rusted area and then make chewing motions- could she be eating it???

Is the rust dangerous for my girls? If it is, what are my options? Do you guys know of any rattie-safe paint or some other solution? They love this cage, and it's giant- they adore the running room.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would definitely suggest repainting as cookiebear mentioned. I had an acquaintance who had two of her rats die from the metal spigot on their water bottle rusting on the inside (where she couldn't see it so she didn't know)...at least that's what the vet said it was from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts