Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my old rats died today, i got them like 2 years ago, both males, names Ash and Duff. I gave them to my dad as he became so attached to them and at about 5pm today he went to feed them and they were fine. Then l8r on tonight they went to check on the rats as Duff wasnt moving as much and then realised he was dead.

Which brings me to my question...Can we put say another two male rats in with the one we have now (Ash) cause we think he is going to get really lonely and might die because of this? What do ya all think? Please let me know as my dad is really upset with this would mean alot to him. They were his babies. Thanks. :cry:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Give Ash lots of love and attention along with slowly introducing the other boys. He'll probably be a bit sad. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere that as long as your introdusing baby male rats then its fine, is this true? Can anyone give me a good site where i can find helpful information on this?

I know its very very sad indeed! They have been together for 2years!! And now Duff is gone for good! And Ash is now wondering about looking for Duff! They were SO cute together! But he was albino (think i spelt it wrong?) and dont they have shorter life span? Think he might of died of a heart attack as he was completely fine before tonight. My dad is just heartbroken, takes alot to make him cry and i mean alot and i wanna make it better.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's EASIER. It won't be perfect. Guinness was a 'baby' when he was introduced and got a gash from the bigger ones stomping on him. Baileys went in like a piece of cake. Puck and Jack will be harder, they're older.

Remember to clean the cage out thoroughly... to remove Duff's scent and to fend off any possible viral infection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much. Oh yes i told them they have to give the cage a good clean out. So if i tell my dad to introduce the baby male rat, Ash won't try and attack him? Sorry i don't want anything to go wrong as it would crush my dad. So your rats were all okay then?

By the way was going to say this before but your rats are SOOOO cute!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My rats have, up until now, been fine except for Jack and Perry do not like each other yet (it's only been four days.) Jack puffs up. But, since they're getting used to each others scents it's slowly getting better. They're both candidates for a neuter if necessary, though.

Take it slow. Let the rats get used to each others smell. Let them sniff each other, etc. Then introduce in a neutral area (like a bathtub). It may go quite well. There will be skirmishes, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I shall let mydad know to get to baby males but make sure there over 6weeks old and then tell him to put them on the bed and let them get to know each other scents. It is a good idea to get another two male rats for the older males comfort, is it? And i can put them in the cage together on the same day?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd suggest somewhere to keep the babes. Not only should you try and take it slow, but if they don't get along right off the bat, if you put them together the babies could get hurt badly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your saying but a seperate cage and put the babies in there and slowly introduce the rats on the bed and then when they start getting along put them in together?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Right. Make sure you clean out Ash's cage before putting the babies in there too... just to make it more 'neutral', in case he feels territorial about his and Duff's space. :)

I hope it works out for you and your Dad. Losing cherished pets is heartbreaking.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hi there, i am sorry for your loss...

i think new babies are a great idea but just be careful cos my lovely girl Ellie attacked one of my babies E.T after introductions seemed to be going ok. luckily E.T was okay but the gash looked really bad (but healed super quick). i am having to wait until my babies are bigger so they can defend themselves a bit more. it's horrible seeing them fight :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aww thank you very much! But we have decided on getting no more rats. Or i should say my dad has decided to get no more.

The vet told him not to incase one of the gets hurt so i'm just going to leave him to decide what he wants to do and that is get no more. Ash is just going to get alot more attention now. I went to see him today and he looked sooo sad and lonely! He was looking about his cage in wonder of Duff as they use to always cuddle each other.

Made me really sad! Poor critter! He has lost his best friend. Thing is i think he must of been trying to tell us that Duff was dead and maybe when Duff was dying he was trying to get our attention but we were downstairs...I know it sounds silly but thats what i think as they are very clever! Sad day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts