Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a recipe for rat shampoo from ratwhisperer, but I had trouble finding some of the ingredients. Her recipe is as follows:

1 cup distilled water
1 cup dawn pure essentials
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup glycerin
1 Tablespoon liquid vitamin E

I couldn't find dawn pure essentials, so I got the original scent. Will it be ok?
For glycerin all I could find was 99.5%. I'm not sure if that's ok?
And for vitamin E, all I could find was Vitamin E oil with safflower seed oil in it. Is saffflower seed oil safe for rats?

I would like to give them a bath soon, but wanted to make sure my recipe and all my ingredients were safe first.

Thanks,
Kellee

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no such thing ( as I can find) as unscented dawn. It's the one they use for oil spill victims though, so I figured it would be okay? Does anyone have any experience using it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would imagine that you could substitute Seventh Generation Free & Clear. It's actually gentler than Dawn and doesn't have any scent aside from soap!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah the less chemicals and dyes the better. You don't even need to regularly bathe rats, most of the time you can just use a baby wipe

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a side note on the soap thing-- "fragrance free" and "unscented" mean different things on labeling. Fragrance free means nothing has been added-- unscented means that they added chemicals to cover the smell. So go for fragrance free for your ratties if you can!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Do you have a health shop in your area? One that specializes in natural foods? I'm sure you can find that stuff there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I found the glycerin and vitamin E, it's just that the vitamin E only comes in an oil with safflower seed oil in it and I'm not sure if that's okay for rats. I read online that is is an edible oil, so I would assume it is but I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I am sure the oil would be fine but as another user said rats really dont need baths. They clean themselves more than cats do. I have had a few rats that needed baths but its rare. If your rat was say covered in tooth paste it might be a good idea to bathe them. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Making one might be expensive. The best one would be Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap (liquid for the ratties) preferably the Sensitive, unscented one. Very nice and gentle on ratties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Making this one wasn't all that expensive (And it made a lot!) I don't bathe my rats often, but they haven't been bathed in a few months and are starting to get a bit smelly. Also I recently moved them and they are itchy, so I'm hoping a bath will help out (dawn is supposed to get rid of lice and some claim even mites, and the vitamin E oil is suppose to help eczema and itchy skin) And I have males, so that are getting very waxy. Like I said, this isn't going to be something I do often, only when needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts