Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a really cheap huge chinchilla/ferret cage on a local trade site, but it really needs a paint, as its a garish green and blue colour, if i bought it, does anyone know of a safe paint i can paint/varnish it with?

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Ah! I've just been researching this!

The most recommended is Japlac or Plasti-kote (only the child safe kind) Japlac is an enamel based paint, I haven't investigated the Plasti-kote too much, as my local stores only sell it as a spray and the paint-on version is reccommended.

To be honest, I got most of my info from Goosemoose and (if you're UK based) fancy-rats.co.uk but there is a few sites around giving detailed information about what paints are good etc. I'm sorry I don't have the links any more :( Should have kept them for reference!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a used cage I'll be repainting this weekend. I'm going to be using a Rust Oleum hammered finish paint for the base. It says it's non-toxic when dry and safe to use on children's toys, so I'm going to go with it. For the wires, I have a non-toxic enamel that I got from ace hardware.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was just browsing through the forums and I was thinking of posting asking what I should do about the few rust spots and pain flakes on my cage but you totally just answered my question.
I haven't had ratties in it for a while and it was outside for a little while because the galvanized wire upper smelled so terrible. I detached that and I will now repaint the cage and get rid of that rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts