Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Three weeks ago, we took my rat to the vet. She had phenmonia, and was given two weeks ( 1-2 mg) twice a day of sandoz azithromycin for kids. I finished the dosing and she got well again. However, today, for the first time in about a week and half, it's flaring up. Could I give her a half dose?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I was at the vet, it was an incredibly negative experience. They had to call another province just to see what they suggested for medicine. I don't think they'd know. Plus, it's sunday and there closed. But that you so much for the suggestion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I personally wouldn't give just half a dose of anything for fear that it wouldn't do a bit of good. Not sure how old your rat is, but if she's getting older (2yo+), myco could be the reason she's getting these flare ups. In these situations, my vet usually recommends a doxy/baytril treatment for the rest of life. While on this treatment, if secondary infections turn up, a third antibiotic is used (amoxicillin or zithro, or other) to treat the secondary infection.

Sounds like you might want to work on finding a new, more experienced vet for your rattie. I'm sorry your rat is sick, and I hope you're able to get her the treatment she needs.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Give her the usual dose. Pneumonia is an awful monster that has a tendency to come back again and again. Your next treatment needs to last four weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts