Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls don't have a salt lick in their cage and I began to wonder if they should, so I Googled it and found contradictory information (no suprise there!). So, I decided to pose the question to you rat savvy folks here.

Do rats need salt licks? If not, do they like them? If so, are they bad for them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i heard salt dehydrates them, and they dont need alot anyway.
i used a mineral lick in my boys cage for a while, but they showed no interest whatsoever.

im not sure for certain, but i dont think theres any need for a salt lick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what some of the sites I found said. Salt dehydrates them too much. But I found others that said they love it and it won't hurt them. Nothing I've found suggests they need them, though... so I guess it's better not to take the chance.

Besides... I gave them each a piece of Cheeto and they LOVED it. That's more than enough salt for the week, I'd say! Heheh.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Rats don't really need those salt licks, and most won't bother even touching them ;). Better off not spending the money, IMHO.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
salt licks and mineral licks are those things that petstore employees tell you are "must-have's". Rats should get all the salt and minerals from their food and do not need additives at all.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
In all my years of having small animals - the salt licks go untouched.

I'm sure, as lilspaz says, it's a pet shop 'must have' that, no doubt, it designed to bring in that little more profit.

I'd say as long as they have a good diet, they should need one.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
if you want advise from the experts... "The Rat Lady" would be a great person to get it from

http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

excerpt from this page:
Rats do not need a salt lick. They get all the salt they need from their diet. Salt licks are only needed by strict herbivores.

side note: I read somewhere that this diet she explains is being modified... I believe Darksong on this board mentioned something to this effect not too long ago. Hopefully she will chime in on this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts