Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had atypical pneumonia for the last couple of weeks now that I'm having a hard time to get rid of. My dad is convinced that its my rats that have something to do with it.

Can someone on here who knows about illnesses that can be contracted from rats just tell me he is being ridiculous because he wants to get rid of the rats.

I have been diagnosed with atypical pneumonia but in general, my symptoms are chest pain and also stomach cramps and aches which have also been diagnosed professionally as IBS. There is a possibility it could be something else and a mis-diagnosis has been made though as none of the treatments I have been on for the last 3 weeks have cured me.

Thanks for your help peeps.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats can give humans ringworm and strep. pneumonia.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the CDC website can point out some interesting facts about pets & what they can pass to us

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/browse_by_animal.htm

pocket pets have only a couple entries whereas Man's Best friend has a list the length of one's arm

It is very unlikely that you are sick from your rat unless you have an allergy that is displaying symptoms that may be perceived as the diagnosis.. I dunno, I'm not an allergist nor a medical doctor... just a search engine geek with 40 yrs of life experience to boot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and gels, I cant really find anything specifically from rats that could cause my symptoms, I've just been to the doctors and they said its very unlikely so I think that has calmed my dad for the time being!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
do you have other pets in the house?

Even if you do I really don't think they could be the source either... but at least you could use that CDC website to defend your position with dear ol' dad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts