Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have covered the shelf in fleece and i put some on the tray in the base of the cage..thing is..they keep pulling it up..and then peeing and pooping under it, storing food.....Any ideas for keeping it down ??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have any zip-ties? If their bowl is made out of a relatively thin plastic and not too near and dear to your heart, you could always punch/melt/drill a few holes in the sides and then use zip-ties to secure it to the bars of the cage. Keep it in a corner (with at least one tie on each wall) so they have a harder time pushing it up, and as long as there's a horizontal bar an inch or two above the zip-tie they won't be able to push it up far enough to pee under.

You'd have to cut the ties every time you wanted to do a thorough cleaning, but you can usually get packs of 20+ at dollar stores for really cheap, and they can be useful other places around your cage as well n.n

That's just the first thing that came to mind...what sort of bowl are you using, and what are the bars of your cage like?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I buy a cheap fleece blanket and cut it so that it covers the whole pan (and up the sides) then get some bulldog clips and clip it onto place on the outside of the pan. Then when you put the wire top on, it pins the edges down. No pulling it up - but I'm sure they could chew through given the time and inclination. So far mine have behaved, but it's only a matter of time o_O

I then also put a bath mat/beach towel on top of that to act as a padded 'floor'. Again - that helps chewing (they usually chew the bathmat first) and any hoarding usually gets done under the mat and not the fleece

I use £2 fleece blankets from Primark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts