Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I had a pair of male feeder rats last year but they ended up not living very long and died from what I believe was cancer. I didn't bond well with them and they were a bit afraid of me. This year I decided to try to adopt a new pair so I found a rat rescue not too far away. They approved my application and I went down yesterday evening to pick them out. I had many choices but I ended up picking a male that cannot be housed with other males due to aggression. The lady said I am the first person that he showed interest in. So I adopted him. He doesn't bite and hid in my hoodie the whole ride home. He likes to bury his head in my shirt and just relax. Unlike my other rats he seems less interested in running away from me and is content just crawling around my shoulders. One thing I noticed is that he keeping pooping on me--like a lot. If I remember correctly my other rats didn't do this and would wait until I put them down. Is there any files I should look over for bonding with him? He isn't comfortable enough to take treats yet but I would eventually like to try clicker training with him so he can learn to come to his name. His name is Ralph the rat. Rat Mammal Muridae Mouse Rodent Rat Vertebrate Mammal Mouse Muridae

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Check out my guide on immersion training and keep repeating his name the exact same way. Rats are very specific when it comes to their names. To you Ralph and Ralphie and Sweetie are all the same but to a rat they assume that every word has a different meaning. As humans we are good at generalizing and nicknames, rats don't tend to understand close enough. This is why some folks use clickers, it's always precisely the same sound.

Best luck and congrats.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Rats potty when they are a bit scared or nervous. So just give him time and he should relax enough to stop going on u so much lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! Ralph is so good looking and you guys are incredibly lucky for bonding the way you have. Good luck with him!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts