Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was checking over Denna today and I noticed that she had a few scabs. I gave her a bath and realized her whole backside is covered in them. I thought mites, but I use Boris mats from IKEA to cover my cage and yesterday's news for the litter boxes, neither of which carry mites (well maybe the yn, but that's unlikely). A lot of the bigger scabs are in pairs... was there a fight and she was bitten everywhere?

Another reason why I don't think it's mites is that no one else(I have four currently) has any scabs except for Auri, who had a bite wound that became an abscess. Also, they are not concentrated to any part of her body and do not look like they were caused by scratching; they are small and round. Additionally, she's not itching anymore than usual. There's really only one wound that looks more like a line than a circle, and even then, it's not by much. It's hard to see in the middle picture.

Is there anything I can do to help the scabs heal?
Sorry that the pictures don't really show the scabs all that well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My girl Zelda has similar bumps. The vet thinks it is a sensitivity to the detergent I had been using to clean their bedding. My vet gave her Micatin Cream, and after a week or so it seemed to lessen the bumps. If you use a cream, she will need to be in a separate cage because cage mates will lick off the cream.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Mites can come in on anything. Toys, food, etc.

My money is on mites.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caged, my first thought was mites as well, but no one else has scabs. Not to mention, she doesn't ever itch whenever I see her, except when she's grooming... but no more than usual.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's not uncommon for only one rat to become affected at first, or to not notice itching until you discover the scabs.

Those are tell-tale mite scabs. I'd treat the entire mischief ASAP.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even though the wounds are mostly in pairs? They looks like bite marks... just everywhere.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The pictures look exactly like mite scabs. Bite marks are much, much larger. Those are little pin pricks from sharp ratty nails.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I also agree with the others on mites. I've been dealing with this for a year now on and off and it looks exactly like it. Mites can come from literally anything and its safe to treat even if they don't have it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*sigh* I literally JUST went to the vet on Monday. Guess I'll have to stop by again. Should I throw out the YN then? That's the only thing I can think of that mites could come in.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Yes, it's very common for only one rat to show signs of a mite/lice infestation. It could be because they're older, immune compromised, less strict on their grooming habits, etc.

If you've seen the vet recently they'll probably give you a tube of puppy/kitten Revolution without many questions asked. It's cheap, easy, and works.

I wouldn't toss the YN - just freeze it for at least 24h before putting it in their cages. If it's just in litter boxes, you could just fill a freezer bag and do it in small batches as needed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm picking up some Revolution tomorrow morning. I'm also getting new rats tomorrow, but since I can't separate them into a different room and whatnot, I'm getting enough doses for everyone. I'd prefer not to have to go back to the vet and get more because the mites hopped onto the new fuzzies.
I've frozen a bag of YN, but the box I store the rest in is still in the rat shed. I'll probably end up taking that out and storing it in the garage until I finish it (freezing it in sections and whatnot).

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
One tube of puppy/kitten (pink) will treat 5 rats - one tube of cat (blue) will treat 15. They come in packs of 3, but most of the time the vet will separate and sell you one. Just depends on which is more cost efficient, sometimes they charge the same price for both sizes :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts