Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3 guys and the white (red eyes) is having some problems. i have a vet appointment today at 2, but it is kind of pricey for me right now.

for the past month or so he has been developing tiny scabs on his back and his fur has a red tint in some places. as of 3 or 4 days ago he has developed a red substance forming around his one eye. it became pretty gross and i've been whiping it off with a warm wash cloth. it looked as if it spread to the other eye, but only a tiny bit. it has since backed off a little, but there is still some red crust around the eye.

ive been reading a lot of talk about these problems and i see that it seems to be a somewhat common problem, but i never see any solutions.

thanks for your time and help

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Red stuff around eye is porphyrin. Its a red stained fluid that rats exude. Your PEW (pink-eyed white) rat has the staining over the shoulders because when they clean themselves they wipe it over that spot with their paws or a cagemate could lick them on the shoulders (there's porphyrin in rat saliva). Porphyrin is an indicator for stress or illness. Its normal to have some in the morning, but after a good grooming it should be gone for the day. If it stays your rat is stressed or not feeling well.

The scabs on his shoulders sound like mites. Mites can be got from infected bedding, you patting another infected rat and bringing it home, or it could be a flareup due to illness. Mites are inherent in rats but flareups are when the rats immune system is compromised. How is his breathing? Is it rough, or noisy at all? Is his coat puffed up or sleek? Is he active or quieter these days? Is he eating and drinking normally?
If its just the mites stressing him they need to be treated. You need to get another Ivermectin (horse de-wormer paste) or Revolution from your vet to treat with. Sadly Ivermectin while working great on lice is NOT always effective with mites any longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he has been sluggish the past day, sleeping alone in a box on the 3rd level (instead of the log on the ground level).. but as of last night he has awaken and started interacting with the others.. i have switched them from a rice-vegetable based home-made mix to blocks and seeds because the odor coming from the cage was disgusting.. i throw in some fresh bananas/oranges every couple days or so. im using the

maybe i should move their bed off the ground level?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just an FYI, you really shouldn't be feeding your male rats oranges as they contain d-limonene, which can cause kidney cancer. It's ok for females, but some people just prefer to avoid oranges all together.

I think it might be wise to have your little guy checked over by a vet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a vet visit showed mange (spelling).. treatments for the next couple weeks.. thanks for everyones help

any ideas as to how mange was contracted?

my original PEW was from a breeder and the 2nd was from a pet store (im guessing it was from him, but he is in perfect health still)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Mange is mites. :) Sarcoptic mites or sarcoptic mange, but you usually hear them called mites in rats.

Mites could've come in on your petstore rat, infected bedding (if you are able its a good idea to freeze your bedding for 48 hours to kill the nits), wooden toys, handling a rat that was infested and then coming home and handling your own. Also mites are inherent in all rats, but will show infestations in times of stress or illness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts