Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so my girl, Rori has some odd scale-type things on her tail. It's all bumpy and discolored almost like a rash or something. I tried to get some pictures, but she's pretty skid-dish and I couldn't get any good ones. Ugh.
I didn't know if it was normal or not. ???

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's not normal, and if you can, you should probably take her to see a vet.

But it does sound similar to what one of my new girls had after I brought her home. Make sure your girl is getting plenty of water, or give her watery treats like watermelon or a little lettuce. Bumpy/scaley tail could be a sign of dehydration (pedialyte is good too). The thing that seemed to help my girl is that I rubbed a little olive oil or coconut oil on her tail everyday, but don't totally coat her tail. Rats use their tails to regulate their body temperature, and if the tail is entirely coated it could be harmful. I also got her to eat some olive or coconut oil everyday. Olive oil you can let a bit of bread soak up the oil and give it to her. Coconut oil usually smells/tastes good and they'll just eat right off your finger.

I'm not sure what caused the scaley tail for my girl, but the oil treatments seemed to fix it (or it just fixed itself). If you feed her oil, check her poops. Too much oil could cause upset tummy and oily squishy poops or diarrhea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts