Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 2 new female rats yesterday, they are around 3 months old and they seem to be terrified by humans. Yesterday was the same, they didnt come out of their little nest box so i put this down to the fact that they were getting used to their environment and i left them for a day. I had a look at them this morning and they were scurrying around happily.... until they saw me and they either scarpered or were frozen in fear. I tried talking soft and reasuringly this morning to them, and throughout the day but to no avail. I have put my hand in several times, with a treat, and the rats just stare at me and dont come anywhere near me. I'm just wondering whether this is natural behaviour from new pet rats and whether i should give them a little space for a while or try to interactive with them a bit more.... i'm really not sure as they seem to be terrified by me so any advice would be great.

thanks... ( names are Coco and Poppy :D )

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They probably haven't been handled all that much. Patience and food helps them get over it. You can also leave them something that smells like you and handle them for at least twenty minutes a day. Do prepared to get poo'd on, though. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't worry just yet, I got two three month old females 3 weeks ago, and they did exacty what you described, but after playing with them for atleast an hour a day they are doing great now and are used to me and let me pick them up.

Just keep playing with them and comforting them, but also don't let them think they can get away from you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try carrying them around in a hoodie around the house so they can get used to your smell, voice, and the noises around them with the comfort of a nice place to hide... seemed to work great for mine. Our rat Mindy is still a little skittish after about 6mo. but she is gradually becoming more comfortable with humans... she comes to me at the front of the cage now but she still is a little weary of climbing out on me. Treats will definitely help them, try making a certain sound everytime you give them treats... eventually they'll coming running to that noise every time. My rats know the sound of the door opening and me coming down the stairs... everytime they're glued to the top of the cage staring out at me as if to say "PLLLLLLLLEASSSSSEEEE TAKE US OUT TO PLAY!" Just be patient and easy with them... when you pick them up make sure your hand is under there paws (mine HATE dangling feet) and hold them close to you and somewhat tight when you pet them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice, thanks alot :) , will give it a try though had a minor breakthrough lol, they are starting to feed out of my hand... thanks will try all the things posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts