Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the thing is, ive been reading loads of posts in the forum and i keep seeing people saying "why do people buy rats if they dont know how to take care of them" and im really worried i dont know enough. i know there diet is (im using a uk verson of subeeis mix, shunamite Diet) and im gonna get all the ingredients when my parents net go to the store before i get the rats. i know what gender im gonna get (female)and im ofcorse gonna get two, ive looked up rat insurance and vets that take rats in my area. I know how to litter train them, and i know good games that most rats like and im buying a good sized cage (70 x 44 x 105cm)and im gonna buy them loads of toyd at the shop were im getting them before i actually buy the rats...but im just nervous i dont know enough, i really really want the best possible life for my rats. is there anything else i need to know, my parents are taking me to harrods to buy them in two days. im i just being stupid, is threr anything else i need to know?
any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Youre not being stupid. Not in the slightest bit. I think its wonderful that you care enough to research first. I think that the people that most are referencing are like the ones who didnt take care of the hairless boys that a poster here got off of craigslist.

I am nervous all the time - I want to make sure Im doing everything I can for these sweeties. I think its like all parenting...if you arent a little nervous at least sometimes, then you probably arent doing it right :wink: lol

Seriously though - dont be so nervous that you lose track of ENJOYING your new babies when you get them! Especially after theyve gotten used to you and vise versa.

I can honestly say that being owned by ratties has been the absolute best experience of my life....and i HOPE of theirs.

Good luck, have fun, keep researching and learning, but mainly just LOVE them - you'll do great!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think when people say that they are more reffering to the people that dont know how to care for them and dont even bother trying and just let them detereorate which is such a shame..

Your not being silly its a good thing you care and you have to learn somewhere!!! Im sure you are going to have very happy rats ! :D enjoy...

Also are you English? They sell animals in Harrods?! or is there another harrods? :oops:

Cassi

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thnx, im all calmed down now...well thats a lie...im still a bit nervous...but VERY exited!!lol thnx 4 ur help :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Cassi said:
Also are you English? They sell animals in Harrods?! or is there another harrods? :oops:

Cassi
i think you can buy just about anything in harrods.

but seriously... you're doing the right thing by researching a pet before you buy... unlike so many other people. i made beckoned research ratties before we got our first girls last year, so you're not alone there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i live in like the center of london, and yes they sell pets in harrods, id rather not buy from there coz they do keep some animals (not rodents tho) in bad condition, like they keep puppies in blass boxes 24 hours a day! but they keep the rats and hamsters in big glass cages with plenty of toys. but i have to get them from there ive calle ALL the pet shops listed in yellow pages and other books like that and none of them say they sell rats. but anyway, im glad to hear its not just me

·
Registered
48 Posts
heh oki posh rats then lol :p they will reject all rat food and demand caviar lol

I was in there the other day and had no idea they had an animal bit would of had a look :(

Cas

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol, ya i bet one day il come home and they will be smoking piped reading the daily mail.lol and i think the pet section is like right at the top neer the big bags

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IM SOOOO CLOSE TO GETTIN THEM!!! im gettin them on wed-its mon..wel its 10:00pm so lets just say tues...so that means im getin them tomoz!!!im sooo EXCITED!!!

edit by mod: you really don't need that many "o"'s

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was trying to figure that out too, I asked simbakitten in a thread a while back but never got an answer

·
Registered
48 Posts
And Harrods dont sell animals, unless their website is missing it out and when I ventured the whole store last week I missed them, also the bags are on the first floor by the perfumery cause I was looking at them. Thought it was strange...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well i thought they were by the bags but maybe not, i know tha the pets is somewere hard to find anywway.and i dont know why it doesnt show anyof thier pet products online, i wondered that aswell.

and as for the rats i got 2 about 3 weeks ago, but their not mine, my friend is away for a month and a bit and they asked me to pickup thier rats from the person they bought them from, (my other friend star was wit me), she had already bought the cage and i collected it, and she had bought some food(reggie rat, im changing it). and i am getting MY OWN rats tomoz...YAY. ok so all in all i do hav rats, ive got them for 3 more weeks coz thier not mine, and i am gettin my own rats tomorow, hope that clears it up

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just be careful to quarantine your new rats properly while you have the other rats with you! If I were in your situation I'd feel horrible to have my friend's rats get sick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya ive researched that as well, il be keeping them in different cages in different rooms and i will change my clothes between hamdeling whem...etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oki, still abit confused and can see why other may be with the previous topic you wrote as someone posted a link to above quoting:

simbakitten said:
ok well my like best friend (star) shes allways been a part of my rats life she was there when i decided to get them, helped me get a cage, and was with me when i got the rats. and now she really wants rats
:? :?

Also I don't visit London but living just 30 mins away when I do I ALWAYS go to Harrods and I love it and look around the WHOLE store, I find it hard to believe that I have missed a pet department for the past 8 years since the first time I went there. By all means prove me wrong, I may just be blind. :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts