Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rats, Brandy, loves being held and everything about it, while the other one, Coby (both girls), seems to get either really excited when I open the cage, or just scared. She runs up to me but on the same note, I think she poops.. does that mean shes scared? Also is the occasional sneeze ok? I hear Brandy sneeze when she is being held about once every couple minutes. But when she is in her cage she doesnt seem to sneeze very much at all.
thanks!
Brandy is the hooded one, Coby is the blackish one... coby is short for cobalt.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ah this is a good question - my rats sneeze loads during free range or should i say make sneezing sounds ..this is just because *i think* there sniffin in new smells ect - when mine are in there cage they are fine and dont sneeze or make sneezing sounds :D

mine used to poo constantly when i held them or put them in the bath for free range now there used to it they either just poo once or twice after a while ect but not no where as much as they used to - remember treats patience and affection will get u FAR
Jess x

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, it does sound like she's a bit nervous around you - she'll get used to you, though, don't worry.

The sneezing from time to time is normal. She's just clearing her nose, and/or she's a little sensitive to the bedding. What are you using for a substrate?

Oh, by the way, I used that 10 gallon topper with my first rat(s) and I must say it's a major PIA to clean. They always get urine down the sides of the tank (which will smell immediately) and the wire grid levels were always annoying - I had to put the entire topper in the shower to actually get it clean. I had a lot of trouble fitting proper toys and hideys in it, and still having room for the ratties to play. I think it's a tad narrow for rats, the topper only being 11 inches wide and all those levels rammed in there, but that's just me. I now have gerbils in it - I built a cage for my rats because I was sick of small, expensive cages. =P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts