Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my rat for 2 or 3 days now and she is still terrified. I get her out all the time but she is still super skittish. I don't know what to be afraid of me.I want her to feel safe and not stressed. She still wont take any food from me.??? Help me please tips anything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
She hasn't been with you for very long, so don't panic just yet! I got a new girl a few days ago and she is still skittish of being picked up/held, but is comfortable in her cage and with the other rats. Give her treats that she would have to lick off of you, like baby food or yogurt, so she can't take the treat and run away to eat it. Also try the immersion idea, there is a thread on this website about it. Keep her with you in a tight space so that she's forced to acknowledge and interact with you. Talk to her softly and let her know you aren't a threat. It takes more time with some rats than others, but don't lose hope! She will learn soon. Moving away from where ever you got her and into a new environment is very scary and can be stressful. If you get her a friend of the same sex she would be much more comfortable and you would have double the fun :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
It took me about 10 days of working with Petey before I felt comfortable enough with him to move from the bathroom to my chaise for playtime.

A rat's fear response lasts 20 to 30 minutes so sessions need to last longer than that. 1 2-hour session is 1 1/2 hours of actual bonding time. It would take 3 1-hour sessions to get the same amount of bonding time. Try to make time for longer sessions for better results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will just walk around holding her for hour on end but about every 30 minutes i put her in the litter box or near her food and water to eat or do some business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts