Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive had my ratties for 2 weeks and a day now. And after cautious attempts I can finally pet them. They are a bit like "WHOA giant hand" still but alot better then before. Now heres my little issue. Im TERRIFIED to pick them up and hold them.

#1 When I do they are frantic and wiggle around and occasionally squeek. Im afriad if they continue to wiggle I might drop them and the squeeking sounds horrible. Its more or less a fear of dropping one.

#2 I dont have many places to let them run loose for free roaming. See I was lucky enough to even get rats. Mother still hates them (more or less their tails haha). And also we have two cats. The old one pays no interest in the rats but the other one attempts to get close at every chance he gets. And yes I know he was hunt them if I gave him the chance. The only place I can think of is the bathroom or in the basement. But I dont have anything to make like a little corral for them to run around in. Any tips?

#3 There is two of them. And only one of me. My sister has taken an interest in them and all but only at random. I want to show both of them attention cause ive noticed that the amount of attention given does change them. My sister always plays with Kinq and Dego is much more inclined to run into his house and chill there for a bit. How can I play with both of them? Also how do you play with rats exactly?

Any help I would really like :)

Btw sorry if i posted questions that are answered elsewhere

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
When picking up the rat, try to use two hands and support their feet. It usually calms them down. Let them hide out in a pocket of a sweatshirt or a hood or a pouch/pack that you don't mind them getting messy.

Bathrooms work great to play with them in, especially tubs. :)

You can put out special 'out' toys in the tub and let them dart about to play with them, offer them treats, pet them... Pick them up and then let them down so they get used to it, etc. :)

I'd also suggest taking them out one at a time from time to time and let them just hang out with you. If they're too hyper for that, at least hold them and give them some one on one lovin'. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
when i got my rats, they didn't like being picked up either. so instead, i wore this baggy zip up jacket (which i tucked into my pants so they wouldn't fall out as they crawled around in there), and held my open sleeve in front of them.

guess what? they climbed right in! i do believe they thought something along the lines of "wheee, a tunnel!" :lol:

and now, i can pick vegas up with my hands, but i can only get baby with my forearms (i kinda..scoop her up with my arms,not hands, if you get that!) because she darts around otherwise.

they now love being in my shirt so much, they pop their heads out of my sleeves/where the zipper is down halfway, and i walk around with them and they have a lot of fun! they also do this cute thing where they lie on their back and sort of use their claws to hold onto my shirt and "slide" belly up across my back..their fur is soft, i've noticed! :lol:

this worked for my unsocialized ratties, and i'm sure it'll work for you too! ;]
plenty of treats while they're in your shirt should get them used to you quick!

also, i began playing with them in the bathtub, which progressed to the couch. i tried playing with them in the bathroom again recently, but they hated it for some reason (the shampoo/other smells/humidity?) so now they're back to the couch. =D

wow, that was long. hope i helped somewhat!xD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they are much more friendly then I expected. I put them in the tub and put this cat bed thing in there. Its like a cave. So I sat on top of that and they were in it and basically they didnt really care at all.

I picked them both up, Dego ended up licking me...I thought it was super cute!. And Kinq started to nibble, didnt hurt at all and was amusing to watch lol.

Now how should I "play with them? I know in the bathtub I let a little bit of water in the deeper end. I would wiggle my finger around and they would bound through the water, attack it, then run back into their hideout. I think it amused me more then them haha. Any other "games" you can play with ratties?

·
Registered
264 Posts
O.k this is just my experience...

i saved my Rachel from a feeder cage.....ten gallon tank horribly crowded with about 20 other rats....not separated.......NO TOYS.......i know... i know...

oh and plus the idiot pulled her out of the tank..... not once..... but twice from her tail out of the tank.....so she didn't like people per say...

well the second day she bit me......and it was an awful experience that i don't want to think about.........(thought really long and hard about naming her fu##in [email protected])......

anywho...what i was doing wrong was trying to dominate and pull her out of the cage....and she was most likely scared.

so i just gave her time....well for both me and her because honestly i was way scared of her too.....

but after a while she noticed i wasn't there to hurt her.....she liked the treats i always had...

oh and plus i let her lick honey off my fingers....again for both me and her...

well

from this experience and.... how we both had to learn to trust each other..i feel like we bonded in a way i can't explain...I have researched ...and alot of people say to dominate your rats...but i perfer to gain there trust....but it comes with time....and honey!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts