Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not time-sensitive, but I need to know if anyone has seen anything like this before. Some time ago, I came home and found my beloved Eris laying on the bottom of her cage. When I picked her up, she was completely limp and cool to the touch. Her heartbeat was so slow it was almost the same as mine. I panicked, of course, and tried to get her to a vet but I couldn't get an appointment until the next day. I fed her warm milk mixed with sugar and sat up with her all night. By the next morning, she was completely back to normal. I took her to the vet and he said that she looked perfectly healthy and he'd never heard of symptoms like the ones i described. He all but said that I was exaggerating the whole thing, which I know I was not.

So what I need to know is whether or not anyone has seen something like this before?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am so sorry, I put this in the wrong thread! I was thinking about typing and didn't double check. Sorry, sorry, sorry

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Did the vet give you any antibiotics? That seems so strange. Is there another vet you could go to? I've heard of that sort of thing happening before, and it usually ends with the rat going downhill again suddenly unfortunately.. How is she now? There could be many things that it could have been that could be from respiratory issues, heart issues, or neurological issues. Has she been 100% normal since that happened? I hope it's nothing serious, that sounds like it would be very scary. How wonderful of you to stay up all night with her trying to nurse her back to health. I'm glad it seemed to have made her feel better :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't sleep because I was terrified she'd be gone in the morning. Since then, she's been completely normal, nothing different in behavior or health. The vet did give me antibiotics, which were a big hit as they are peanut butter flavored :)
I'm just really worried about it happening again. There were no warning signs that I saw.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did it look like maybe she fell and was stunned?

...I really have no earthly idea.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
This is not nearly as strange as it sounds.... I've had rats sustain severe injuries and even get poisoned and the next day they appeared fine.

Part of this is because rats don't show their weaknesses. Gently feel your rat all over to see if she has any sore spots. You can bathe her to see if any injuries become apparent when her hair slicks down, but that's about all you can do. Also check for any poisons your rat could have gotten into.

The other thing is that 24 hours after each of our rat's near death experiences, they seemed to be perfectly fine... rats tend to either die fast or recover super quickly. There isn't much in between. This applies mostly to young rats though. If a rat survives a trauma for the first few golden hours, it's usually pretty much OK by the next day, so likely you're OK now.

So, I suppose you should look for anything that could have caused a poisoning or injury. Maybe your neighbor's bug bombed their apartment or an exterminator was in your apartment when you were away... I've lost animals to both when I rented years ago. But if you can't find a cause, and your rat seems fine, you are most likely out of the woods. There isn't much you can do anyway, so I wouldn't drive myself crazy with worry.

And by the way... Last year we moved the stove and found a full box of rat poison under it... it was left behind by the former owners of our house, long, long ago and it sat there for decades. Of course our rats played under the stove and luckily none of them ever ate it. We've lived here for nearly 20 years, and most certainly weren't expecting to find this little time bomb waiting for us... We've even replaced the kitchen floor, so how the stuff somehow survived under the stove remains a mystery. It's gone now, but who knows what other dangers are lurking in our home we may not know are there? So it might be a good idea to do a safety check and talk to your neighbors and landlord.

Best luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts