Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? Some pictures would be great for comparison and any idea on growth rate/quality of life etc. Although I appreciate these kind of things differ from case to case.

I noticed a sore on my 20 month old bucks belly and have watched it for the past week in hope that it was a cut and would heal up, but it hasn't. It is on the upper part of his belly, slightly off center and towards the shoulders. It has been bleeding since I noticed around a week ago, and I never noticed the lump before this (although it is possible it was there as he is a very wriggly rat to handle!).

I wasn't convinced the vet took a proper look at it, she seemed very quick to tell me it was a growth on his scent gland.. unless of course it is something she has seen before so can instantly notice. I haven't found any info on this in rats, and I would like to know more before I seek a second opinion from a different vet.

I will try and get a picture tomorrow when the light is better and he has recovered from the exhaustion of a vet visit!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not sure that rats have scent glands in that location. In rats, most of their scent glands are on their flanks and around their genitals. Gerbils, on the other hand, are known for the scent glands on their tummies and cancers are common there. Maybe it's just a sore that has gotten infected and he needs antibiotics to clear it up. Whatever the case may be, I'd call the vet back and ask to see someone more knowledgeable about rats and don't let them charge you for a second appointment for the same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. That is what my understanding of scent glands was too. I have made an appointment for Tuesday at a different vets, hopefully they will be better.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Can you get a photo, rats do have 2 scent marking glands about 1cm up and across on wither side from the penis, these are known as the preputial glands and are very common for abscesses

1 - 4 of 4 Posts