Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just got a new rat yesterday. We are not new to rat ownership this is our 3rd rat family member but I have a question about this one.
She is young, I don't know her exact age but I am guessing about 10-12 weeks by her size. She scent marks constantly when he holds her, just dribbles urine constantly. My son HATES this. Our other 2 girls don't do this. Is this something she will stop doing once she becomes more comfortable?
Also she poos when you hold her which i do know is common with a new rat but her poo STINKS! It also seems a bit softer than the other rats, but I am not sure because they so rarely go outside the cage I don't pay attention to the consistency.

I really would like to know if this constant scent marking will diminish. I do have the option of exchanging her. I hate to see him not want to give this rat any attention because she constantly pees. I do my best to make sure all my pets get plenty of attention and I know this one won't if she is going to pee constantly.

Thanks for any info you can share!

·
Registered
137 Posts
She's just afraid right now... the big smelly poo is "fear poo" and will go away as she calms down and gets more comfortable. The constant marking should diminish as time goes by as well. They may still occasionally mark you/pee on you in the future, but most likely it'll go down to what you're used to with your other two.

I wouldn't exchange her... both my girls peed on me a lot when they were babies, and Mokey in particular had a lot of big smell fear poos, and now I couldn't wish for a better rat. Give her time to be comfortable, and this should all diminish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has already diminished. I kind of figured the poo had to be some sort of fear thing but I couldn't seem to find anything about it anywhere online. When I finally caught up with my daughter (she has a busy teen social and work schedule) she assured me that her rats did this at first too.

I searched online about the peeing and everything I read said that some rats do dribble pee constantly smearing everyone and everything. I could find nothing on a new rat doing this. Everything I read seemed to say that they don't stop doing this. We can tolerate being peed on occasionally but I knew that if she peed on him constantly he would not want to handle her very often, if at all. What a lonely life that would be to not want to have anyone play with you.

He had her out last night. She did poo on him but it didn't stink like it did that first day and she did pee on him a couple times but the non-stop dribbling has stopped.

Thanks for reassuring me.
She's a keeper. She's a bit more timid than our other rats so we are going slow with her. My son likes to read so he takes her out and just lets her sit on his shoulder while the house is quiet. She will explore him a bit and then settles right back down and reads with him. If she stays this calm I may have picked the perfect rat for him. She isn't lethargic by any means, just mellow.
The other young rat we have is a nut and just wants to run around and see what she can get into. Her personality fits my other son perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts