Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dego and Kinq get along just like any brothers. Infact last night they groomed eachother and fell asleep side by side. Way too cute!

Dego is the obvious boss in the cage. And heres where the problems come. When I feed them they go bonkers and start climbing the side of the cage trying to get the food. Kinq is the most food crazy so I feed him first. Dego is a couple notches calmer so I feed him second.

They use to both go into their house and eat peacefully but within the last week or so they have been getting snappy at eachother. If Kinq comes within eye view of the entrance of the house Dego attacks him. He bites and hangs on. Kinq will flip on his back and squeak super loud and then Dego will steal his food.

Now, just to make sure Kinq actually gets food, I stand and wait by the cage until they are fnished eats. This attack can happen at any given time while food is present.

Also I noticed alot more aggressive fighting. Byt the looks of it its not play fighting sometimes. Kinq squeaks loudly than goes on his back and will wait till Dego leave the level to get up.

Any tips? Advice? Is this behaviour dangerous? Is it just boys rough housing?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it is a dominance thing

unless you see blood.. it is all natural behavior

The only advice offered as to what to do in case they become too aggressive is neutering

question: do you have female rats in the house? If so, when they go into heat it could cause the males to get more aggressive with each other since they would compete with one another in order to pair up with a female. Since females come into heat every 5 days or so... your males are going to be constantly stimulated if in fact there are females around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts