Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here use or have experience with Science Selective rat food? From the ingredients, it looks okay, not as good as Harlan 2014 or Oxbow, so if I use it I'd probably supplement it with some other stuff- but right now it's on a huge sale ($10 for over 4 pounds, it used to be $20) so I would like to stock up if it's ok :)

Ingredients: Wheat, soybean meal, barley, oats, soya oil, dried apples, dried blackcurrants, wheat feed, limestone flour, salt, Vitamin A 15000 IU, Vitamin D3 1500 IU
Edit: protein and fat looks good- protein 13%, fat 3%

Link if anyone wants to take a look: https://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Petfoods-Science-Selective-Food/dp/B01BHVDSFE

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
124 Posts
I haven’t tried it, but from the looks of it, it seems like it would be good! The ingredients are 👍

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
I used it and that was the only time my rats got sick. It doesn't seem bad but oxbow or a homemade mix would be better.

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used it and that was the only time my rats got sick. It doesn't seem bad but oxbow or a homemade mix would be better.
Yeah, it doesn't seem as good as Oxbow or Harlan 2014 (which I'm using now) but it is cheaper and still pretty good so I'd like to give it a try :)

I was curious, how do you make your homemade mix? Is it expensive? (all the ingredients together) Also are your rats all healthy on it?
I've never tried a homemade mix, although I think I would prefer blocks instead. (they're easier and good ones are very nutritious) However, I may give it a try some time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used Emiology's video How I Make my Rats Food to guide me. It was $150 but made 120 cups of food which will last me at least 30 weeks (oxbow 3lb bag last me 18 days) if not longer. For the same amount of money (assuming that it cost $15 for you) you can get 10 bags of 3lb (30 lbs or ~90 cups) of oxbow rat food. My rats are very healthy and happy on it (Maintaining a good weight, No sickness, helps immunity, etc.).

If you decide to make this PM me and I will send links for what I put in my mix so you get a good idea of what it is like.

·
Registered
399 Posts

That is the link to the thread!!

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The science selective I ordered came today (impressive next-day shipping! LOL) and although I don't have long term results yet the boys all seemed to enjoy it- I gave them a piece each, just to test it out a bit as I still have a bag of Harlan left :)
It's a triangular shape, similar to Oxbow but a bit larger. It comes in a huge bag just over 4 pounds- I have to say, I think I got my money's worth :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts