Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are 6 weeks old and there claws are getting very long-so long they mark me then they walk on my skin. they seem really handy for climbing fabric tho. Should i cut them file them?!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i clip my ratties nails all the time be sure not to get the pink part i wouldn't file them though and you may want to wait a while till they are a bit older i have always clipped nails though

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Like Stephanie said, make sure not to cut the the vein. You should purchase some cat nail clippers, and also from Kwik Stop just in case you happen to clip off a little too much.

You can also try putting a brick in the cage - a lot of people choose to put it in a high-traffic location, such as under the water bottle. It helps trim down rat's nails.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you. I like rocks to so I put a few of the rough ones I have in there cage, hopefully that'll take the sharpness out of them

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If the rocks don't work and you're not brave enough to try clipping (I'm not!), you could try these. I put them in the place where our rats come to greet me and it keeps their nails trimmed nicely.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also, the small human nail clippers work too. That's what we used at the vet clinic for rats and cats ;). Goodluck getting your rat to hold still.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, thanks. the big rock has been sat on a few times allready-gona get some more its very out doorsy! yeh, im worried bout falling out with them after only having them a week. My dog was allways very trusting and would sit still for you to dress cuts or remove ticks, id like that with my rats

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i put my boys in a loose headlock type hold when i clip their nails LOL i have to fight with them a little but eventually they just give in mommy knows best LoL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts