Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A fight erupted under the couch during free range today, and Mooshie emerged with three scratches to his shoulder blades, not very deep. :( This is the second time this week he has recieved a scratch in this location.

Muffin also has a small moon shaped bald spot on his cheek. I can't see any irritation on this skin.

My rats were especially hyper tonight and started off with a lot of popcorning and fun, but usually when they are in this kind of crazy mood they end up getting carried away and start rough housing until someone gets hurt.

I've clipped everyone's back paw nails, but I can't manage their front paws.

Should I be worried? I've not been seeing any aggression between them all for weeks but tonight they just seemed hyper. Not sure what's going on with them.

Ps - The reason Mooshie fur looks wet around the scratch is because I applied some beaphar antiseptic.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Not really, any group of healthy young boys are going to squabble and cuts on rats heal fast. I've seen a lot worse from mite scratches.....

When you hear things getting out of hand shout 'STOP FIGHTING!!' and for the most part they will stop.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rat Daddy.
I'm a little paranoid about scratches, fights and whatnot, always worrying that I'm not managing things properly or that I'm going to miss some sign that someone is getting too aggressive. I fear coming home to a terrible wound one day.

I've been doing the no fighting command and usually it works, but I had to resort to the spray bottle for this more than one fight tonight. But then they were especially excited tonight for some reason.
Wee sods like to keep me on my toes!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Kitterpuss,

We're likely all oblivious to the end of days fast approaching... so I tend to try and hang on to my bliss as long as possible... Mostly if I don't see lots of blood or the four horsemen playing with my rats, I assume it's likely not the apocalypse.

Sometimes rats do get hurt, but so do human best friends that play together... Fact is most of my worst injuries came when I was playing as a kid with friends.

As long as you maintain your leadership role and give them the attention they need, the rats aren't about to fight for alpha status. And even when rats do fight for status they rarely get too injured....

And when it comes to injuries I've seen rats survive the kinds of accidents that would easily kill a human and bounce back practically overnight... It's scary how fast rats heal. That's not an invitation to abuse your rats, just that rats are designed to survive most minor skirmishes.... and some pretty major puncture wounds and crushing incidents...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I can say on the less violent, more emotional side of things that Jesse has been exhibiting dominance behavior and a desire to be alpha almost constantly, no matter how much I remind him who's boss, and while he never hurts Nibbles he bullied him so much Nibbles started being afraid to come out of the cage. Sometimes even when injuries don't happen there can be other damage. I've read similar experiences from others, but I don't know if it's common.

I certainly have no idea what to do to stop the fighting but hopefully the risk of serious physical injury is low. Good luck with your mischief!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually had a nightmare last night that Mooshie had this terrible injury all the way round his body. Lol! Just goes to show what my state of mind is right now. I really need to relax! Of course, now I'm worrying about the apocalypse too thanks to Rat Daddy ;) Haha!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ooooo sending you well wishes up north from my lads Kitter!! Mine do this too, get a bit too over excited.. Boys aye? Hope they have a speedy recovery :) x

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! The wee bums are just trying to freak me out. Mooshies neck looks much better this morn, albeit a bit baldy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts