Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boys have been scratching a lot, in the shelter they were on towels and now I'm using aspen bedding. One of the admins on Real Rat Lovers want to Know (or whatever it's called) said it was mites, is it possible it's just the bedding affecting them? I don't get paid until the 15th (I just moved into a new place, which used up my savings due to unforeseen circumstances), if it is mites is it ok to let it go that long?

Also, will being cold harm their health? I'm going to try to find something to put on their shelves so their little paws aren't so cold, just trying to find something they don't want to tear apart is proving difficult lol. Right now I have an old fleece pilllowcase and an old pair of fleece pjs bottoms on the shelves as makeshift beds. I also put some hay in their cage just in case they wanted to take it into the little hut we made for them to get warm.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Hairy rats can cope with being cold fairly well, much better than overheating. I usually stuff houses with fleece. Scrap sections of fabric stores or used bedding from second hand shops are your friend, since rats will be rats. Fleece is great, and is fairly cheap even if you go through it weekly. I usually put puppy pads under mine so any holes from previous chewing doesn't affect it.

As to mites, a week won't kill them. Maybe try an olive oil bath to relieve some of it temporarily http://www.sophielynette.com/oliveoil.html. You can also switch them from aspen to old towels or even in a pinch, paper towels to see if it is allergies in the meantime. With the scratching, do you feel any scabs around their ears or their rump? Mites is usually the first thought of cause, but if you are transitioning into winter the change in humidity can cause dry skin just like doe humans.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts