Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the passed few months Scritchy has begun to have so many problems... In October she went into have a lump removed (It turned out to be a large abscess) and now the lump has returned. It's burst and the loose skin is all black and hard now (I'm not sure if that's normal or not) and now, just tonight I found blood on Shrieksy's back, so I first inspected Shrieksy for any kind of injury, and then I inspected Scritchy's abscess, but it has all drained. Then I checked under Scritchy and found that she was bleeding from her vagina. She's sitting in my chair behind me and she's bruxing but I doubt it's the kind of content bruxing. I'm not sure if she's in a lot of pain. Shrieksy keeps trying to groom between Scritchy's legs. Should I let her? I hope it isnt Pyometra... She's been on 0.3 ml of Baytril twice daily but I missed the two doses yesterday because of work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to mention though that it doesnt look like there's any abdominal swelling. She's a very small rat so I'd notice if there was swelling

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Blood on the vagina is very likley to be Pyo or another womb abnormality. Whilst meds can help they dont always fix it and the only reliable way to fix it is to have her spayed. The vet could have a look at the abcess site whilst shes under, if its scabbed over it will need lancing and draining again and if its something more sinister at least by knowing you can make better decisions on how to proceed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was starting to think it may be crystals in her urine. Her pee had dried a bit funny and rather than drying and looking dusty it looked a bit like thin honey (it was raised a bit, rough feeling and kinda sticky. There is no pus (that I noticed) in the blood. I'm hoping that it's just been her not drinking enough water while on baytril.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got her back from the vet. She peed at the vet and the urine was clear. He felt her stomach area but didn't find any growth or swelling. After I got her home she started bleeding again. He gave her 7 days of baytril (but she's already been on baytril for 14 days.) Vet doesn't know what it could be. In 8 days I'm taking her back for x-rays.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
id try taking her get back before Christmas abs try and get her in for a spay. over Christmas is really hard to get an emergency op and if she goes down hill thete will be little you can do. baytril clearly isn't cutting it and you need to tell your vet that or he won't be able to make the right decisions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I managed to smell the blood (she left some on my hand) and it doesnt smell infected or anything... It smells simply like any other kind of blood (coppery or like a light penny scent.) Could it be anything else other than an infection? I've realized she likes to sit behind me in my leather chair and back before she was bleeding, whenever she got up, there would be quite a bit of urine, which left me to believe that the leather wasnt absorbing the pee while she was laying down behind me, so it was being trapped between her and the seat, which can't be good, even when on baytril for 14 days. Could this be the cause of the bleeding now?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It could be an abnormality in the womb wall causing get to bleed (this often gets worse) or uterine cancer or polyps etc. All of these are treated with spaying and is only by doing this that the vet will be able to find out which it is. Unfortunately these won't be touched by the baytril and can get worse, rats don't have loads of blood to afford to loose it. It could still be pyo without an infection smell as the bacteria that causes infections don't always smell, it depends on the type.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took her to the vet, and the vet was very gentle with Scritchy. She looked her over and we attempted some Xrays but she was much too fidgety. She felt around for lumps and took a sample of her urine and found nothing out of the normal. The blood seems to have cleared up (and she hasnt bled any for these past 3 days.) The vet has put her on Chlor Palm (sp?) and Scritchy seems to be back to normal, though she seems to be chewing on her cardboard boxes more and she seems to be trying to get into everything now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Scritchy has been eating and acting normally these passed days. I'm still giving her 2.5ml of Chlor Palm, twice daily, and everything has been going well. I havent found any traces of blood until tonight. She was resting back behind my chair with my other rat Shrieksy and when I turned around to put them both to bed, my chair was covered in blood again and Scritchy had blood between her legs. I'm not sure what to make of this anymore. She hasnt shown any sign of bleeding for almost 10 days and then tonight she started again. Could it still be Pyometra? Maybe it's blocked and 10 days of bleeding built up and it all came out tonight? There was more blood than the first time I noticed.

edit: Forgot to mention, once again, it was just clear blood, and in the 10 days I had been feeling her and checking her over for swelling and hadnt noticed any at all. I didnt notice any pus or anything. I'm wondering, as it seems she only bleeds behind my chair, if it might have something to do with either Shrieksy grooming her, or if it's my chair itself?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This can happen with womb abnormalities. They tend to come in blobs often with a cot involved too. i would seriously think of getting her spayed. She's been on meds a while now and is clearly not helping. It's sounding more likley there is some abnormality with the womb itself than a straightforward infection

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I asked the vet about having her spayed but the vet is a bit cautious about putting her on anesthesia again (since it's very hard on the rats sometimes)

edit: and is a womb abnormality usually fatal? I most likely will get her spayed but I also dont want to put her through another operation again (for her sake) and separate her from her cage mate during recovery time again

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It depends what they are, cancerous issues will kill, cysts might not but are likley to cause increasing discomfort to the point of pain, wombs producing blood clouds can also get worse and make a rat anemic which will lower there immune system and may kill off it gets bad enough. If it's been a while since get last surgery (say a month) then it shouldn't be bad if she did well last time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts