Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my first ever rats, two boys, in just over 3 weeks (very excited!), and yesterday, I got a Freddy 2 cage for them. I went for it over the bigger Jenny because so many people said the Jenny went rusty, and that the tubes were hard to clean.

But anyway, I only have the basics it came with so far, so it just looks like this:

(minus ferret lol) and I really want another shelf for it. The room is certainly there.

The Ferplast shelf seems pretty reasonable, but I have read a few reviews saying that it was hard to put in and that the plastic nuts and bolts were difficult and fiddly, wearing down quite fast. I think you could probably just use metal ones if this happened, but I'm not sure?

I couldn't make one to save my life, although my brother might be persuaded if there was no alternative. But he's not very reliable, and it might still be half finished this time next year. :lol:

So, have you tried the ferplast shelves and how are they, and/or do you know of any good alternatives?

Thanks very much!
Ishbel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been doing a lot of lurking, and now I have another question: is wire mesh bad for ratty feet? All of the web pages on caring for pet rats I've read seemed to be in agreement that solid floors are better, saying that wire floors can cause bumblefoot, but I've read a couple of posts where people seemed to be saying that this isn't true. Wikipedia also says that there is no link between wire floors and bumblefoot.

I'm not 100% sure, and all they may have been trying to say is that all wire floors are better than a combination of solid floors and wire ones.

What of these is best: wire floors, solid floors, or a mixture of the two, and why?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
506 Posts
wire floors can lead to bumble foot. They get little cuts on they're feet from the wire flooring sometimes and then they can get infected which then leads to bumble foot. I think thats how it works at least. hehe. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me but I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
As far as I'm aware the issue with wire floors is that they're hard to thoroughly clean and can trap urine and bacteria in the mesh. This, in contact with a cut, can cause infection. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thanks very much!

I wasn't planning on getting wire ones anyway, but it's always good to be certain. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts