Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm just going to get to my point, I don't have anything else really to say.

I have a male rat that is about a year and two months old. I've had him since he was very young, and he has never bitten before.

About a week ago, I was making lunch and I looked over at him in his cage, and he was on his haunches, falling backwards and smooshing his face up. He had his eyes closed, and was falling over everywhere. Then he stopped. He looked very startled, and kind of out of it. So I sat with him on the couch for a bit, and after a few minutes, he was fine.

He has never bitten, not even mistaking fingers for food between the bars of his cage. (I don't feed him through the bars often though.) But he has been acting very strange this past week. He's been more jumpy, and is snatching at his food more aggressively. And when he is running around on my bed, he's been replacing his normally nice kisses with soft nips. Its different from the play fighting kind which are very VERY soft, but these have a bit more pressure and not to mention how jumpy he is, and its not playful.

I feel that this is connected, because I've never seen him act like this, and it started after what I saw happen. Could he be in pain? I don't feel any lumps on him, or anything else strange besides the episode he had last week. I don't have any idea what that was, or whats going on with him now.

He is with me all the time, in my room, on my shoulder, and I take him everywhere outside the house (within reason, I don't take him to restaurants or the movies or things like that, and not if its too cold or hot) in a custom made backpack. And especially this past week. I don't know if I should take him to the vet or not, so...

·
Registered
798 Posts
it almost sounds neurological to me, first the whole "seizure" and now the strange behaviour. I would definately book an appointment with the vet if I were you. You have my highest of hopes that it is something minor, and that your buddy pulls through it all :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He seems perfectly fine now, and I haven't seen him do it since. But because I can't have my eyes on him 24/7, I don't know if it has happened again or not, so I'll take him in very soon anyway.

Otherwise, he's been his sweet self today, and hasn't had any troubles doing anything. But he was acting kind of strange last night with the odd behavior, so thats why I came here for a second opinion. Its almost like a Jekyll and Hyde thing, thankfully now he seems normal.

I'll definitely make an appointment as soon as I can.

Thanks guys :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts