Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! one of my rats who’s about a little over a year has had two seizures, they happened about 1 month apart. i learned that the food i have been feeding them has choleciferol/vitamin d-3which is essentially rat poison and could be causing the seizures(the food is Kaytee Forti Diet pro health). I also learned that mouldy grains can cause tremors or seizures.

what can i feed my ratties that doesn’t have as many bad ingredients?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oxbow is the best rat food, if that's available to you I would recommend using that instead. You might also want to check in with a vet to make sure its only the food.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hi! one of my rats who’s about a little over a year has had two seizures, they happened about 1 month apart. i learned that the food i have been feeding them has choleciferol/vitamin d-3which is essentially rat poison and could be causing the seizures(the food is Kaytee Forti Diet pro health). I also learned that mouldy grains can cause tremors or seizures.

what can i feed my ratties that doesn’t have as many bad ingredients?

The breeder I got Turvy from said to stay away from Kaytee. I feed mine this:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i learned that the food i have been feeding them has choleciferol/vitamin d-3which is essentially rat poison
I think it's a bit more complicated than this. Yes, vitamin D in large amounts can be lethal for rats and that is why cholecalciferol is used as an effective rodent poison. That said, vitamin D is also a [necessary vitamin]. Rat's skin actually produces cholecalciferol.

I think it's like the baking soda situation. A lot of rat owners freak out and think that baking soda is poisonous for rats. Baking soda can be used as a primary ingredient in a homemade rat poison but that doesn't mean that baking soda is toxic in any/all quantities. In normal/small quantities, baking soda isn't toxic at all and can actually be beneficial for rats.

Yes, [Kaytee Forti-Diet] contains cholecalciferol / vitamin D3. So does [Mazuri]. So does [Teklad]. So does [Oxbow]. I don't think this is causing your rat's health issues and switching to a different food won't change anything. That said, I've read that some people feel that the ingredients in diets like Oxbow and Teklad may be more healthy overall than Forti-Diet. Anyone who says that Kaytee Forti-Diet will kill your rats should just be ignored and not trusted, though.

·
Super Moderator
368 Posts
Have you taken them to the vet...?
I use selective science

RAT DIET -The best food for rats is good quality lab block (single pellets). Seed mixes allow them to pick out what they don’t want (forcing you to throw away the rest), and often contains cancer-causing ingredients or ingredients that rats cannot digest. It is equivalent to fast food. The best brands for lab blocks are Oxbow Regal Rat Essentials (not Garden Select), Mazuri (6F), or Science Selective. It is cheapest to purchase in bulk online. For those without access to these foods, a homemade mix or certain high-quality, low-fat, low-protein dog food may suffice. -Rats should have free access to food unless they are overweight or otherwise directed by a vet. -Suebee homemade rat diet: ratsrule.com - suebee's rat diet -Animallama homemade rat diet: Homemade Rat Food & Treats: Best Recipes to Spoil Your Rodents | Animallama -Isamu homemade rat diet: Options for Dry Mixes(edited)

[10:55 PM]
Good treats for rats include healthy vegetables, proteins, and carbs. Examples are sugar-free cereal such as cheerios, small amounts of fruits (they are high in sugar), vegetables like broccoli or peas, baby food, small amounts of nuts or lean meat like salmon or chicken (high in fat/protein), or whole grain pasta. Do not give your rat anything stringy, like celery, or mushy, like doughy bread, as these pose a choking hazard. Food to avoid feeding your rat: Foods That Are Poisonous to Your Rat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you taken them to the vet...?
I use selective science

RAT DIET -The best food for rats is good quality lab block (single pellets). Seed mixes allow them to pick out what they don’t want (forcing you to throw away the rest), and often contains cancer-causing ingredients or ingredients that rats cannot digest. It is equivalent to fast food. The best brands for lab blocks are Oxbow Regal Rat Essentials (not Garden Select), Mazuri (6F), or Science Selective. It is cheapest to purchase in bulk online. For those without access to these foods, a homemade mix or certain high-quality, low-fat, low-protein dog food may suffice. -Rats should have free access to food unless they are overweight or otherwise directed by a vet. -Suebee homemade rat diet: ratsrule.com - suebee's rat diet -Animallama homemade rat diet: Homemade Rat Food & Treats: Best Recipes to Spoil Your Rodents | Animallama -Isamu homemade rat diet: Options for Dry Mixes(edited)

[10:55 PM]
Good treats for rats include healthy vegetables, proteins, and carbs. Examples are sugar-free cereal such as cheerios, small amounts of fruits (they are high in sugar), vegetables like broccoli or peas, baby food, small amounts of nuts or lean meat like salmon or chicken (high in fat/protein), or whole grain pasta. Do not give your rat anything stringy, like celery, or mushy, like doughy bread, as these pose a choking hazard. Food to avoid feeding your rat: Foods That Are Poisonous to Your Rat
I really want to take my rat to the vet but in my area they are all closed because of covid. I’m working on finding one but I will try the diet recommendations you gave, thank you for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts