Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking input from those who have had experiences (good or bad) in obtaining their own doxycycline and enrofloxacin by means other than via a vet or vet's prescription to a pharmacy. I would like to hear about your methods: compounding, mixing with foods, or whatever other means you found to work (or not work) with your ratties. Please do not respond simply to preach against this, especially if you do not have personal experience in this situation. I am well aware of the risks, but am confident in my ability to do this.

I have poured over Debbie Ducommun's online information about treating rats for respiratory illnesses. I have also poured over the internet for medical research regarding these specific medications to learn of what they can/cannot be mixed with, how long they last, how long they last after compounding, etc.

Make no mistake, my rats are under the care of an exotic vet that I love, however, it appears that one of my guys will probably need to be on a doxy/enro regimen the rest of his life. I'm sure my other guy will follow soon enough, as it has been in my experience that when ratties get into old-age, myco symptoms gradually get worse and the doxy/enro regimen seems to work nicely in keeping it in check as well as avoiding secondary infections/complications.

Because of this, I looked for a more affordable way to continue these meds long term. The cheapest pharmacy in my area charges approximately $160/mo for these two drugs for one rat. I refuse to pay this when I know I can obtain these drugs by other means for far less money. I have 3 children as well as quite a few other pets--needless to say we are frugal where we can be.

Compounding powdered doxy using a liquid suspension vehicle along with flavoring was easy and I was very happy with the outcome after my first attempt. I was meticulous in taking my time when first adding a small amount of the suspension liquid to the powder. Honestly, I thought the consistency turned out far better than anything I've ever received from the vet or pharmacy of this particular drug for rats. I've received compounded bottles of doxy from the vet and the pharmacy that actually had lumps in it (yes, even after shaking like crazy)!

The enro is another story though. I have the 10% liquid and even when mixed with extremely sweet flavorings and/or food, it tastes extremely bitter to me. I will not even attempt to put it in the water as my ratties will turn their nose up at that. Mr Watson seems to eat the foods I put it in ok for the most part, but sometimes gets "over it" and I have to finger-feed him in the end to get him to take it all. Any suggestions for this bitterness? And is there perhaps a pill, capsule, or powder I could get my hands on that maybe I just haven't found online yet? I'm fine using a mortar & pestle to grind a tablet, although I'd prefer to avoid that if loose powder or capsules are available.

My last concern is that of dosage. I'm dosing for a 1lb rat, however I just weighed Mr Watson yesterday and he is 2oz over 1lb. I can't possibly see that this would necessitate any significant increase in dosage, but I had this nagging feeling all night that made it difficult for me to sleep so thought I would ask here about it just in case. I'm somewhat ocd in making sure everything is exact when it comes to meds, and this nagging feeling may just be me wanting everything to be exact and perfect.

So basically I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences in a situation like mine, what works/doesn't work for you. What materials you've used to compound, what foods mixed with meds works for your ratties, and the dosage question for Mr Watson/Fatty *grin* Oh and also, anyone have good results with just doxy maintenance for older rats (2yo) to keep myco at bay, or is enro absolutely required alongside it? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
You should never dose medication in the water supply. Additionally, you should look into "pulse therapy" as continuous long term use has the risk of them being resistant to it when you need it, and some medications can cause superinfections in long term use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely look into pulse therapy after we're able to get his symptoms and breathing under control and everything is manageable. We started him on the meds last Thursday night (27FEB), and today is Tuesday and he still has labored breathing. Now that it's been 5 days, I'm starting to worry that the meds aren't working, but guess I'll wait another day or so to make sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts