Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I came home today to find one of my rats necks had become a huge lump and a large gash in it dripping blood everywhere. We had brought home some new babies the other day and they were introduced yesterday and my two rats that are older got into a scuffle but that was it. I have noticed he is thinner and has not been holding his own in the cage much. So I am pretty sure it is an injury that happened during a fight when I was not home. The babies are not in that cage when we are not monitoring btw. Anyway I tried to clean the wound and when I went to rinse he freaked out a little and red started dripping from his eyes which I know is a sign of stress but this was a ton of it. He is moving on his own and trying to clean it. Any suggestions on how to keep it clean? Any general suggestions on how to take care of him while injured?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
By the way his getting thinner has been going on since long before we got the other rats

Registered
If he has a gash in his neck he probably needs a vet.
Use a saline solution to keep it clean and be gentle.
This sounds pretty bad, but maybe a picture would help?

Premium Member
the huge lump thing says that there might have been an abcess or something else going on in the area, and the injury partly occured because it was raised up. In terms of blood you can stop bleeding using something like cornflour or wound powder as a short term fix. I would put some antisceptic cream on it before that to try and stop infection getting in. Then take him along to the vet, loosing weight is a sign of some problem in his system, in older rats this is normally either kidney degeneration, heart issues or a UTI though there are other issues that can cause it. A large swelling on the neck is normally an abcess but can be swollen glands from an infection (for instance SDAV which is a nasty virus that can be brought in by new rats is typified by swollen neck glands and proturding or swollen eyes). The fact he's injured too and showing signs of going down him generally tells be he'd be best visiting a vet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts