Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently watching my sister's 7 rats while she and my mother are out of town. She lost one just last week due to a respiratory infection and now another one is showing signs of severe respiratory distress, her color is okay but she is breathing very heavily and I can hear crackling. And two others are sneezing.

About two weeks ago she added a new rat to the group. She did not quarantine the rat. I suspect that the new one brought Sendai Virus with her, since those affected are the older rats. The two who are sneezing have been on baytril for about 3 days and it appears to be staying upper respiratory. The one who is showing the most respiratory distress, is the shyest and most prone to avoid human interaction. I'm going to start her on baytril as well. My mother also has some doxycyline that I'm going to pick up and start her on in conjunction with the baytril. I've currently got all of them in a steamy bathroom, while I clean the cage with disinfectant.

I know that SV can decimate a rat colony, but I want to do everything I can to prevent that. Should I start everyone on baytril? I also plan to clean the cage daily, with hot water and disinfectant and to launder the bedding daily in hot water. What would be the best disinfectant to use, bleach? I don't want to irritate their airways. Or is there no point to heavy cleaning, since its already spread to the colony. Any advice you have on how to mitigate the effects of SV would be appreciated. She loves those rats to bits.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts