Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fostering a mother rat and her babies for the last several weeks, and this past Thursday I had to separate out the boys. They'll be 5 weeks on Tuesday, and although they are completely weaned, I was hoping to be able to keep them together until this weekend… but late Thursday night I caught the boys starting to hump the mom and I didn't want to risk it. The girls are still doing great and are in with their mom, but the boys have been hiding away for the last three days. They've poked their noses out when I've checked in on them, and I have picked them up to give them kisses, but otherwise they have been barricading themselves in their huts. I'm getting worried, as normally they are quite active and they seemed so happy until I moved them to their new cage. There's one little guy who was especially attached to his mom… it's kind of breaking my heart (first time foster/rat care-taker/litter-raiser here). I know it's going to be an adjustment for them, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how this process usually goes and if there is anything I can do to make it easier for these guys? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts