Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I know ive not been on in a while but ive been extremely busy with my new job and stuff! So my eldest rat Sergi, who is around 2.5-3 years old has deteriorated rapidly over the past few months. He has lost a lot of weight and has no control over his back legs whatsoever. Also he had this major rash appear on his back that turned into very painful looking blisters which have now healed a little but his back is almost completely bald. He cannot eat as before, mainly because he cant get to his food and even when he does have food he cant hold it and eat at the same time because he struggles to keep himself up. I feed him by hand now and bring the food to him so he doesnt have to move far. He still loves to cuddle and is always excited too see me, I know that much. But during a recent vet visit (which I couldnt be there for because I was working) the vet advised that I start to consider Sergi's quality of life and that I should be considering having him pts in the coming weeks. this was about 2 weeks ago. I know he is losing hope and I feel horrible every time I look at him but I just cannot bare to make that phone call and take him to be put to sleep. I am so emotionally attatched to my rats, and with this being my first ever rat that will need put to sleep I cant handle the thought of it. I dont want to be selfish and I know the vet visit will be within this week but I guess I just need some positive words and experiences on how everyone coped, cause at this point I just cant cope. I feel broken and my emotions are all over the place right now, I get upset at the most stupid things and I think its all down to him. Im going to be so lost without him, none of the others need me like he does and I literally spend all my waking time with him, caring for him, feeding him, watering him, lifting him in and out of hammocks, cuddling with him. Its just a really hard time right now. Thanks for reading everyone! hope you are all well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts